Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Perseverance

Day 2 - Week 1 of my running challenge, check! As I heard my alarm sounding at 5:40am I thought, “Do I really need to get up? Does it really matter if I skip a day?” Honestly, if it weren’t for my friend coming to run, I would have said- forget it! Having accountability like that is really the key to any goal or obstacle we may face. How easily I want throw in the towel when things are challenging! I mean come on, giving up after one run is pretty sad, lol. I’m so glad I got out there this morning, we had a great run and I feel much better than my first time around!
I have read studies showing that it takes at least 21 days to form a habit. That doesn’t sound long, but it is when you’re starting something challenging. Meditating on this, made me think of how hard it is to spend time with God on a daily basis. I have gotten away from this, and it can be hard to start up the habit again. But like running, I have found it is very helpful to have accountability in this area. When I tell a friend I want to spend more time reading my Bible and praying, I’m more motivated to do it if I know they will ask me about it. And also like running, talking about your faith journey with others is so encouraging! I do need my alone time with God, but I also need fellowship with other believers! Sharing our struggles and encouraging one another is what gets me through the week.
Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for He who promised is faithful. And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds, not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another….” Hebrews 10:23-25a

I am hoping and praying that God will use my friendships to encourage me in every area of my life. To God be the glory!

1 comment:

  1. Ever since we were in NC helping Daniel & Teressa with the church plant I have remembered to exercise the habit of reading God's Word every day. He challenged all of us to read the Bible in a year and since then I have read the entire Bible 3 times and have since then been on a daily Bible reading plan for everyday. My reasons for saying this is not to brag but to tell you that this piece of paper with daily reading plans has been my 'Accountability' partner. I check off everyday when I have read my passages and it keeps me accountable. This is my 'good' habit that I have formed! I thank God for Daniel and his challenge for me to be in God's Word everyday! Love you!!

    ReplyDelete